It was just a 4 day week but it was productive.
The Algebra 1 classes spent a solid 100 minutes on Khan working on skills. We were able to work through several problems and I was very happy with how focused the students were at getting work done. Today, we started a GUITAR DESIGN project. Yes, this is a Math Project. We watched a great video how making Custom Guitars is a VERY MATHEMATICAL process. We are focusing our MATH on the design and location of the FRETS. Students were given a worksheet with ratios for the Fret Positions. They had to make some calculations, convert to fractions, recognize a pattern, and then apply the information to the Guitar MODEL they were asked to design and build.
Getting students to THINK CRITICALLY is not easy. I hear a little "whining" when I wouldn't give them answers! Sometimes STUDENTS are so "Teacher Dependent". I saw the work they were doing and thought they were making good progress toward their designs. The FINISHED Guitars are to be done by next Friday. I can't wait to see the finished products!
We nearly wrapped up the INTERIOR DESIGN project and will complete the final wall on Monday. We went back to working on some KA skills yesterday and today. I am impressed with how hard this class is working. Most of them are on schedule with their skill work. I turned notebooks back over to them, but STILL some have to really work on their organization.
As a reminder, here is what they need in their notebooks, (both Algebra and Geometry)
1) A copy of the Course Map - list of Skill Topics we will cover
2) Section for Notes - Worked examples, and "How to" notes I give in class as well as notes they take on the KHAN videos.
3) Vocabulary Section - Special Vocabulary and definitions covered in class
4) Scratch Paper Section- Paper where they show their work making calculations during skill work
5) Project Section - Special Project Assignments
6) Teacher Comment Section - Scoring Rubrics for the Notebooks, Work Progress Reports, and Life Skills.
GHS really believes in Data Notebooks and this information along with their Khan Academy Data really help a student KNOW where they stand in class.
Great week with GREAT students. I LOVE MY LIFE AT GHS!